1.12.2012

Pizza party, a la live!

On May 2nd, I fly to Italy with my mother, three siblings, Claire and her sister Grace, and my friend Joe (to help support our vision, click here!).  We'll be staying for two weeks, traipsing around the Italian countryside, taking Roma and Firenze by force, flailing with delight at the Adriatic Sea and otherwise having a blast.  After the two weeks are over, everyone will fly home to old CT except for Claire and me; we'll be heading to France for a week to stay in a flat in Paris and a chateau south of Bordeaux (it even rhymes!).  In preparation for the Italian section of the trip, all the travelers have been meeting once a week to learn the language and discuss logistics and, yesterday, to truly immerse ourselves in the Italian experience via pizza!  My brother (Declan, 12) created a masterpiece of risen dough and melted cheese:

Holy red sauce, Batman.
But I didn't want to eat that because I knew the consequences would be horrific.  So I planned ahead, and made a raw pizza!  The recipe is as follows:
  • 2 cups sprouted buckwheat, blended
  • 2 tbs ground flax seed
  • 2 large carrots, grated
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
  • 2 tbs. italian seasoning
  • 2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • water if needed
Combine everything in the food processor:


Process until smooth:


Spread on a dehydrator tray covered by a sheet of parchment paper (or a Teflex sheet) until round and no more than a 1/4 inch thick:



Dehydrate for 8 hours or overnight, until the crust looks like this:

Made extra yummy by sunlight!
And your crust is all set!  While I was making the crust, Claire created a beautiful sampling of raw 'roasted' veggies- zucchini, portobello mushrooms, broccolette- and an amazing raw cheese spread.  I sliced some tomatoes and she sliced up some olives and we layered it all on!

Juicy!

Claire diligently spreading.

Zucchini...

Portobello strips...

Olives...
Then I created a raw parmesan-type sprinkle.  The recipe:
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds
  • 1/4 cup brazil nuts
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • salt to taste
Process in the food processor until sprinkle-able:


Sprinkle on the pizza:

SO

BEAUTIFUL
And enjoy!



It was very delicious, but so filling that I'm still feeling it the next day!  Definitely an occasional meal, not an everyday affair.  Phew.  I'm really glad I made it- it's been three years since I got into raw food and I've never once made a pizza! 

Today I'll be eating a lot lighter than yesterday, hopefully utilizing some of the many items sprouting in the kitchen!  Sprouting is kind of an addiction- pictured below we have garbanzo beans, sunseeds, pepitas, red lentils and sesame seeds.



It's getting a little out of control!

Love and light-
Mada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu