1.27.2012

Catch A Healthy Habit Cafe!

Yesterday, after literal years of trying, Claire and I finally made it down to Catch A Healthy Habit Cafe in Fairfield, CT!  (Claire had been there before, a number of times- see her post about it.)  It was an unbelievable blast.  Both of us had been feeling a little cooped up, and it was so nice to go somewhere new and have someone else make us (incredibly delicious) food.

If you're ever in the Fairfield area, I definitely suggest stopping in.  It is 100% raw and vegan.  The food, like I said, is amazing; the staff are warm and friendly; the atmosphere is bright and open.  While we were there, lots of apparent regulars came in to pick up green juices, shots of ginger, milkshakes and sandwiches.  Several people were there with their young children.  Glen, the wonderful owner, made a balloon dog for a little boy sitting near us (he was enjoying a big green salad and a macaroon- awesome raw kids!).

We happened to be there while Ian Ziering (actor, health educator) was presenting about antioxidant levels in the body.  A woman was using a biophotonic scanner to measure peoples' antioxidant levels right there.  Claire and I both got our levels tested for fun, and scored in the highest sector!  Yay for raw food!  Plus, it was donation-based and all the proceeds went to Nourish the Children, a non-profit organization dedicated to ending starvation for children in Africa.  And now onto the food! 

Menu
 There were so many delicious-looking things on the menu that we ordered two and split them.


The spring rolls; kelp noodles, avocado and veggies in a spinach-coconut wrapper with coconut amino-ginger sauce.

The house burger; a nut-seed burger topped with avo, 'ketchup' and mustard on onion bread, plus a side salad.
They were both so ridiculously delicious and satisfying (without being overwhelming) I couldn't choose a favorite.  I have to say, though, that the spring rolls were very unique.  I haven't had many raw dishes like them.  Super thumbs up!


Claire clearly enjoyed it, as well.

Completely devoured.
....And then we had dessert.


Caramel bar, cinnamon roll, oatmeal raisin cookie.
Claire ordered the caramel bar, I ordered the cinnamon roll and the cookie.  In general, I don't eat a lot of sugary things, and I almost never eat chocolate, but it was a special occasion so I let it slide.  We each shared bites.  Wow.  Wow, wow, wow.

Brownie batter with wild jungle peanut butter.
And just when we thought the decadence was over, the very lovely woman who served us said she was making brownies, and would we like to try some?  The answer was a resounding yes.  It was like peanut butter fudge.  Or Reese's cups made into pudding.  It was fantastic.


So after all this food-bliss, we packed up our cameras and made for the door, but not before Glen stopped us and gave us even more delicious food as a parting gift.


Butter pecan ice cream pie. !!!!!!!!

Two macaroons, one 's'more' and an oatmeal raisin cookie.
Oh my god!  It was raw overload!  Luckily, we waited to eat the gifts and drove off, grinning ear-to-ear and very talkative from the chocolate-


to visit the beach!


Boots on the beach.
And picked up durian on the way home:


I know, I know, it's not the most beautiful thing you've ever seen, but my GOD it's delicious.  (My entire family disagrees.  My brother says it smells like rotten eggnog and my mother says decaying corpses.  There's no accounting for taste, I guess!)

A very successful day.  Any happy day is a successful one!


In love and gratitude, namaste all the way-
Mada

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get durian in CT?! I went all the way to Chinatown in NYC to get some. I'll prob. go to the choc party at Catch a Healthy Habit next wk, so if there's durian in the area, I want to know about it! Tx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debbie! You can find durian at most Asian markets, just call ahead to make sure they have it. It's not in season right now, so you can only get the packaged/frozen kind, but it's DELICIOUS all the same. Thanks for reading! Love to you.

      Delete

Pages - Menu